Five Australian rules footy players suspended amid police investigation

Sincity Press Staff 2 hours ago 3 min read 4
Sincity Press Brief

The suspensions, for drinking and inviting women to a hotel, come as police investigate an alleged sexual assault.

Five Australian rules footballers from the Sydney Swans have been stood down for the rest of the season after a police investigation into an alleged sexual assault was launched following a late‑night incident at a Melbourne hotel. Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice were suspended by the club after detectives in Melbourne began probing an alleged assault that reportedly occurred in the early hours of Monday morning at the Pullman Hotel, where the players were staying after a match. None of the players has been arrested or charged in the investigation. Sydney Swans president Andrew Pridham addressed fans, players and the wider community on Wednesday, apologising for the episode. Speaking to reporters, Pridham said the sanctions were imposed because the players had breached club standards by consuming alcohol earlier than permitted and bringing women to the hotel. In a statement released earlier in the day announcing the suspensions, the club said: “We respect determination is an ongoing probe by Victoria Police and the actions we person taken contiguous are autarkic of this.” The statement added: “The AFL is supportive of the Club's sanctions.” Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich told a media conference: “We're profoundly embarrassed and ashamed that the mediocre choices of 5 of our players, and the interaction that's had connected the women progressive and besides the club.” He continued: ““We are profoundly acrophobic astir their payment and the wellbeing of those women.”” Pavlich declined to say whether any of the players had undergone alcohol testing, noting that any such enquiry would form part of the police investigation. A Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed that officers have spoken to several people who were at the Pullman Hotel, but added: “officers person spoken to respective radical who were astatine the Pullman Hotel, but nary 1 was formally interviewed oregon arrested.” On Tuesday, club officials met with the players before the suspensions were handed down. AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon has described the reports of the alleged sexual assault as “deeply concerning.” The Swans currently sit second on the ladder, a position that secures a place in the qualifying and elimination finals series, which begins in two weeks. Sydney is scheduled to face North Melbourne at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday, a match that will be the club’s final fixture before the finals commence. Heeney and Warner are regarded as two of the sport’s biggest stars. Unlike some other Australian sports, the AFL does not operate a strict no‑fault stand‑down rule for players charged with serious offences such as sexual assault; instead, the league evaluates each case on a discretionary, case‑by‑case basis.