Image source, Getty Images
Liverpool want to sign Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi
Senior football correspondent
Crystal Palace are trying to sign two central defenders before the transfer window closes, which could unlock Marc Guehi's anticipated move to Liverpool.
The Premier League champions have held talks over a proposed £35m move for Guehi, but Palace boss Oliver Glasner said the centre-half "has" to remain at the club past Monday's deadline.
There is yet to be an agreement between the two teams, but Liverpool have received encouragement Palace are prepared to sell the England defender and are actively working towards strengthening at centre-back.
Palace captain Guehi has made clear he has no intention of signing a new contract at Selhurst Park.
While Glasner has publicly spoken of his desire to keep Guehi, the Eagles are reluctant to let the 25-year-old leave on a free transfer when his contract expires next summer. They rejected a £65m deal to sell Guehi to Newcastle last year.
Palace have an interest in Toulouse's Jaydee Canvot, 19, and talks over a move for the highly-rated central defender are at an advanced stage.
They are also after an experienced centre-half and have made an approach for Manchester City defender Manuel Akanji, but the Switzerland international is said to have reservations about the switch.
Sporting defender Ousmane Diomande has been Palace's first-choice target, but thus far they have been unable to afford the Ivory Coast international.
Roma's Evan Ndicka is another defender Palace are understood to have interest in.
Speaking on Friday, Glasner said: "[Guehi] has to [be a Palace player when the window shuts].
"It is not possible to find a Marc Guehi replacement who can play straight in the Premier League as a starter."