US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

Sincity Press Staff 2 hours ago 3 min read 2
Sincity Press Brief

Erik Slavin believes he was fired for saying in an interview that "in a hypothetical situation, censorship would be a red line".

Stars and Stripes, although partially funded by the Pentagon, operates under a legislative mandate and Department of Defense rules that grant it editorial autonomy. Lara Korte, the newspaper’s Middle East correspondent, said she had been informed of her dismissal. Both Dave Slavin and Korte attributed their terminations to an interview they gave to CBS’s “Sunday Morning” program last month, which the Pentagon reportedly viewed as insubordination, according to CBS News, the BBC’s U.S. partner. Stars and Stripes also reported the firing of senior editor Max Lederer. Lederer announced his status on Tuesday, stating that his understanding of the paper’s value and mission differed “in fundamental ways” from the Pentagon’s objectives for the publication. Slavin, who has worked for the outlet for 21 years, told the “PM” program that he had not received a clear explanation for his firing and was weighing his next steps, even though he is not permitted to appeal. He added that he was unsure whether the dismissal related to the paper’s original reporting on conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has been deployed in the Gulf for months amid the ongoing U.S.–Israeli conflict with Iran. The vessel has logged a record‑setting uninterrupted deployment at sea of more than 240 days. Family members of sailors aboard have voiced concerns about the crew’s mental health, with some sailors reportedly attempting to jump overboard. Slavin noted that his termination occurred amid a climate in which the Pentagon has not held a press briefing since May and journalists have resisted attempts to interfere with their coverage. On X, Korte wrote: "It's a shame for the instauration and work members, who swore to support the Constitution and merit the close to a escaped and autarkic press." Mark Schoeff Jr., president of the National Press Club, characterized Slavin’s firing as "another brazen effort by the Pentagon to dictate sum of the subject and should beryllium instantly reversed". According to CBS, an average of 1.4 cardinal individuals consume Stars and Stripes content daily, primarily online. The newspaper continues to be printed outside the United States for service members stationed in areas with unreliable internet access. In October, major U.S. news outlets rejected a proposed policy that would have barred journalists from entering the building unless they reported only information officially authorized by the DoD. At that time, The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN and the BBC declared they would not comply with the rule. The Trump administration argued the changes were necessary to protect national security. In April 2025, a federal judge ordered the administration to restore the Associated Press’s access to presidential events after it had been blocked over the use of the phrase “Gulf of America.” Earlier, the White House had moved to assume control of the press pool that covers the presidency.