RENO, Nevada — The Hawk Fire, which originated in the Sierra foothills, moved toward Reno on Sunday and expanded to more than 10,500 acres. Officials ordered the evacuation of nearly 14,000 homes, and the “G0 NOW” zone reached the boundary of the University of Nevada, Reno campus.
Washoe County emergency officials opened the Reno‑Sparks Convention Center to shelter evacuees, but stated that pets could not be brought inside; small and large animals were to be held at two separate locations.
Gov. Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency for Washoe County and mobilized the Nevada National Guard to support aerial firefighting with two helicopter crews and 60 troops to assist law‑enforcement in protecting evacuated neighborhoods.
The fire reportedly began Saturday and intensified throughout the day, driven by strong, gusty winds, low humidity and dry vegetation, according to a statement from Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue, which joined the effort from just across the California border.
“Approximately 400 unit are presently moving connected the incident, with resources coming unneurotic from local, authorities and national agencies, including crushed crews and aerial resources,” the Truckee Meadows statement said.
Nearly 10,000 homes and businesses lost power in Washoe County on Sunday, and sections of U.S. Route 395, a major north‑south highway, were closed because of the fire.
“If you person been told to evacuate, delight don’t wait!” Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said in a posting on social media late Saturday night. “Structures person already been burned successful this occurrence and your beingness is much important than a building. Evacuating earlier the occurrence arrives besides allows our firefighters to absorption their efforts connected battling the blaze.”
Authorities also monitored a regional detention facility located several blocks from the outer edge of the evacuation zone.
“We person those inmates successful caput and we are making definite that we person plans successful spot successful lawsuit we whitethorn person to evacuate the facility,” Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said.
Earlier this month, three wildfires fueled by hot, dry and windy conditions north of Reno forced more than 13,000 residents from their homes, according to the Nevada National Guard.