Attorneys delivered opening statements Monday in the trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis, the 63‑year‑old man accused of orchestrating the 1996 drive‑by shooting that killed Tupac Shakur.
Davis is alleged to have planned the revenge attack on Shakur and Death Row Records CEO Marion “Suge” Knight after Shakur’s entourage assaulted Davis’ nephew, Orlando Anderson, earlier that evening at the MGM Grand. Prosecutors said Davis’ nationalist remarks prompted investigators to reopen the case.
In a memoir he has since disputed writing, Davis described “tossing” a weapon into the back seat of the Cadillac in which he was riding, allowing another occupant to fire the shots. Police said Davis is the sole surviving member of the four people who were in the vehicle that night.
Authorities have characterized Davis as the “shot‑caller” who devised the plan to exact retribution. No arrest was made in the killing until Davis was taken into custody in 2023 outside his Henderson residence.
The proceedings have drawn substantial media interest, with scores of television cameras and lighting equipment stationed outside the Regional Justice Center on Monday morning.
This is simply a processing story. Check backmost for updates.