The US Supreme Court has temporarily allowed operation of the White House ballroom to determination forward.
The determination connected Friday by Chief Justice John Roberts, issued arsenic a stay, volition let US President Donald Trump's $400m (£297m) task to proceed arsenic the precocious tribunal mulls implicit a lawsuit aiming to halt it entirely.
The enactment volition stay successful spot pending further enactment from the court.
The case, primitively filed by a preservation radical that argues the task would go irreversible unless stopped immediately, was appealed to the precocious tribunal aft a national appeals tribunal had ordered enactment to halt earlier this month.
The appeals tribunal ruled that Trump was a "temporary tenant" of the White House and could not marque the alterations without legislature approval. It gave the medication 2 weeks to entreaty the decision.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation, a preservation group, has led the suit against the ballroom, arguing it is causing irreversible harm to a humanities building.
"We are alert of the administrative stay," the radical told the BBC connected Friday. "To beryllium clear, this is not a last determination connected the merits of the government's enactment application, and we await further action."
The court's determination represents a triumph - albeit possibly a impermanent 1 - for Trump, who has agelong argued that the White House needs a larger events space, and much recently, that it was captious for nationalist security.
Had the Supreme Court not issued a stay, oregon chosen to regularisation against the Trump administration, the White House would person been legally obligated to halt operation connected Friday.
The president has asserted that the caller ballroom is needed to "accommodate radical for expansive parties, State Visits", and has besides said that it is "vital for National Security".
Government lawyers person argued the further information analyzable and features included successful the ballroom task are needed to support the White House analyzable from drones, ballistic missiles, biohazards and different threats - changes indispensable to protecting the president, his family, and staff.
In an exigency filing to the precocious tribunal earlier the stay, the US Solicitor General D John Sauer argued operation connected the ballroom had to proceed for information reasons.
While initially billed arsenic a 650-person ballroom that would incorporated the existing gathering erstwhile it was announced successful July 2025, revised plans aboriginal expanded it to person a capableness of 900, and past astir 1,000, with the full operation of the East Wing being demolished successful the process.








English (US)·